City Secretary FAQ

Am I eligible to vote?

To be eligible to vote in Texas, a person must submit an application and meet the following requirements:

  1. Be 18 years or older on election day;
  2. Be a United States citizen;
  3. Be a resident of the county where the application is submitted;
  4. Not be convicted of a felony or, if so, have completed the terms of the jail sentence, probation or parole; and
  5. Have not been declared by a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be either totally mentally incapacitated or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.

For more information and to view your current registration status, please visit the Dallas County Elections Department website.

Does the City of Hutchins have information on school board elections or Dallas County elections?

The City of Hutchins is not affiliated with elections for County or school board positions; however, City facilities are used as polling locations. For information about school board elections or Dallas County elections, please contact the Dallas County Elections Office

How do I find information about candidates?

Candidates are responsible for promoting themselves. A candidate may publish a website, utilize social media accounts, take part in candidate forums, go door-to-door, post political signs, or similar means.

Community organizations, both partisan and nonpartisan, may also publish information about local candidates on their organization’s website, make voters guides available at local libraries, or pass them out at community events. These organizations are also likely to host candidate forums.

How do I register to vote?

In the state of Texas, voter registration applications must be filled out and mailed to the County Voter Registrar. The address is pre-printed on the application, and no postage fees apply.

Registration cards can be found in the lobby of Hutchins City Hall, the Dallas County Elections Office, and many post offices, libraries, Texas Department of Public Safety Offices, and Texas Health and Human Services Commission offices throughout the state. You may also fill out the form online before printing the application from the Secretary of State Website.  Texas residents have the option of filling out the form when applying or renewing their driver’s license. You may also encounter Deputy Voter Registrars, (volunteers who help with this process on their own time) at events, in the community.  

The application requests information including name, address, date of birth, and other identifying information. Texas law requires eligible voters to register by the 30th day before Election Day. For instance, if the Election is on May 25th, then the deadline is April 24th.

A person may submit an application if they are at least 17 years and 10 months old.

For more information, please visit the Dallas County Elections Department website.

How do I request public records?

To request public records, please fill out a Public Information Request.

How do I speak at City Council meetings?

Residents may address the City Council during Citizen's Comments or during the Agenda Item. Comments are limited to three minutes and City Council is prohibited from acting on or discussing any items brought before them at this time.

All individuals wishing to speak are required to submit the provided Public Input Form to the City Secretary 15 minutes before the Regular Meeting. The form is located on the table just inside of the Council Chambers. Please write legibly for accurate transcription. Comments will be recorded in the meeting minutes.

Residents are required to abide by the rules of decorum attached to the comment form.

How do I volunteer for the boards, commissions, and committees in the City of Hutchins?

To volunteer for a Board or Commission, please fill out a Boards, Commissions, and Committees Application

What will be on my ballot?

You can visit the Dallas County Elections Website to view your Sample Ballot. This document is a replica of your actual ballot.

When are City Council meetings held?

The City Council meets on the first and third Monday of each month in Council Chambers, located at Hutchins City Hall, 321 N. Main St, Hutchins, TX 75141. The start time is posted 72 hours in advance on the city website, though it usually begins at 6:00 p.m. or 6:30 p.m.

Closed sessions are meetings to which the public does not have access. In accordance with Chapter 551, Texas Government Code, the City Council will recess into closed session to discuss any of the matters posted on the agenda. Any necessary action will be taken in public by the City Council.

Where do I vote?

In Dallas County, voters are permitted to vote at any polling location within Dallas County during early voting. On Election Day, voters must utilize their assigned polling location which is determined by precinct. To determine your polling place, visit the Dallas County Elections Website and fill in your information.

View All FAQ's